The NEDC Breathe Easy Leadership Program
The NEDC Breathe Easy Leadership Award is given to those individuals or organizations whose efforts best reflect the goals of the NEDC and have taken noteworthy steps, directly or indirectly (i.e., by encouraging others’ actions), to reduce diesel emissions beyond what is required by law in their locality. These include, but are not limited to:
Utilizing Cleaner Fuels and Emission Reduction Technologies & Strategies:
- Promoting alternative fuel use (e.g., biodiesel, natural gas, etc.) beyond local, state and federal requirements
- Retrofitting, upgrading, repowering, and/or replacing and retiring older diesel engines/vehicles
- Reducing idling through the promotion of idling alternatives for mobile sources, such as truck stop electrification, auxiliary power units, fuel operated heaters, electric plug-ins, auto start/stop technologies, outreach, etc.
- Demonstrating innovative technologies and expanding the use of proven technologies
- Taking an innovative approach to reducing emissions from diesel engines
- Promoting the use of clean diesel technologies in contract specifications
Measuring Environmental Results & Outcomes:
- Achieving reductions in particulate matter (PM), hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions from diesel exhaust
- Improving data on emissions and fleet inventories as well as exposure and health effects
- Effectively measuring and assessing the outcomes of the initiative, program, or technology(s)
Public Outreach, Collaboration & Sustainability:
- Educating the public, lawmakers, and public and private fleet operators about the importance of and strategies for reducing diesel emissions
- Creating educational opportunities and materials for key sectors and stakeholders
- Serving as a model that others can follow
- Integrating and expanding existing NEDC programs
- Creating new partnerships, programs, and other measures to reduce emissions
About the Awards
Who is eligible?
The Program is open to individuals, governmental organizations, private entities, nonprofit organizations, and others.
To be considered for this award, the emissions benefits must have been realized since July, 2013. Also, projects/efforts must have occurred within the NEDC Region (New England, NY/NJ, Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands).
When are nominations due?
Nominations are due by COB, Monday, August 31, 2015.
How many awards will be given?
The number of awards will be contingent upon the quality and quantity of nominations submitted. Awards will be presented at the NEDC Partners Meeting in September, 2015.
See the 2013 Breathe Easy Award Winners.
See the 2011 Breathe Easy Award winners.
See the 2010 Breathe Easy Award winners.